Based on the causative factor, a sore throat is usually accompanied by various other symptoms like body-ache, fever, headache, cough, runny nose, joint pain, etc. It is important to make sure that the underlining condition is treated primarily in order to rid yourself of the illness completely.
In this article, I will discuss simple remedies for relieving a sore throat.
A sore throat is usually can be caused by:
-Infections (Bacterial & Viral)
-Allergies (Mold, pollen, etc)
-Inhalation of dust
-Remaining in a dry environment
-Sleeping directly under an AC
-Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD), etc.
In order to relieve the sore throat, there are several remedial measures that can be taken:
1. A glass of hot water, with a teaspoon of honey, a tablespoon of lime juice, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. This can be taken 2 times a day. It also helps reduce inflammation and fight off infections.
2. Chewing a few cloves is VERY effective to relieve a sore throat instantly, as well as reduce a cough, runny nose, and many other symptoms associated with common upper respiratory infections.
3. Gargle with salt water 2-3 times a day is an age old remedy for sore throats.
4. Spices like ginger, black pepper, and cayenne pepper can be added to your food to help fight off infections as well as relieve a sore throat.
5. A paste of 1/2 teaspoon of each honey and turmeric can reduce a sore throat almost instantly
6. Cinnamon added to a glass of boiling water and allowed to sit for 20 minutes. Add some pepper and honey. Consume this 1-2 times a day.
7. Black pepper mixed with a little honey and licked can work almost instantly. Do this up to 3 times a day.
1. Lasunadi Vati – Preferably chewed yet, the taste is quite potent. So 1-2 tablets can be swallowed with water
2. Lavangadi Vati – Chew 1-2 tablets up to 3 times a day.
3. Tulsi Leaf tea, or Chewed fresh tulsi leaves.
4. Triphala Guggulu Tablets – 1-2 tablets 2 times a day.
These medicines should always be used under the supervision of an Ayurvedic Doctor. I usually recommend my patients to purchase these medicines from “Banyan Botanicals” and “Vadik Herbs” online. Most East Indian Grocery stores also keep these common Ayurvedic Medicines.
(Always use medicinal herbs under the supervision of a doctor)
For more information contact me at email@example.com
To schedule a consultation with me, Click Here.
by Dr. Nishal R.
DISCLAIMER: The information presented at this page is for information purposes only is not intended to replace the services of a doctor or healthcare practitioner licensed in the diagnosis or treatment of illness or disease. Any application of the material in this text is at the reader’s discretion and sole responsibility. If you have a persistent medical condition or your symptoms are severe please consult a physician. Statements on this web site about health conditions and remedies have not been evaluated by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration. The entire contents of this website are not intended for providing specific medical advice, but rather for the purpose of disseminating information. The information provided has not been evaluated by the FDA, and neither is it intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease or disorder in any way or form.