What is Onychomycosis
- Onychomycosis is the medical term for a fungal infection of the nail.
- It most commonly occurs in the toenails and is often referred to as “Toenail fungus”.
- It is caused by a fungus known as Trichophyton rubrum
- It causes yellow, white, or brown discoloration of the nail
- Eventually leads to thickening, brittleness and cracking of the nails.
Symptoms of Toenail Fungus
Its more of a cosmetic issue as its main symptoms affect the appearance of the nails:
- Thickening of nails
- Brittleness of nails
- Cracking of nails
- Yellow, white, or brown discoloration
However, in some cases there can be:
- Foul smell
- Pain under the nail or around it
Remedies for Toenail Fungus
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a well-known anti-fungal natural medicine with multiple medicinal uses.
In several clinical studies, Tea Tree Oil has demonstrated its ability to combat multiple types of fungal infections.
In the case of Toenail Fungus, the application of Tea Tree Oil resulted in results similar to that of a standard anti-fungal medication known as clotrimazole (see study).
Snakeroot, also known as Ageratina pichinchensis, is a medicinal herb used in traditional Mexican medicine for treating skin conditions and fungal infections.
In clinical research, Snakeroot has demonstrated anti-fungal effects in athlete’s foot, vaginal yeast infections and onychomycosis.
In one clinical trial, patients taking Snakeroot Extract experienced similar results to that of a standard anti-fungal drug known as ciclopirox (see study).
- Vicks Vaporub
- The application of Vicks Vaporub has been found to be highly effective in 83% of patients with Onychomycosis in a clinical trial (see study)
- Ionized Sunflower Oil
- In a clinical trial, all patients using an Ionized sunflower oil preparation experienced positive results (see study)
(Always use medicinal herbs under the supervision of a doctor)
To schedule a consultation, Click Here.
by Dr. Nishal R.